It is currently October 1st, 2014, 4:59 am

Post subject: Re: Extra Curricular: Sexism in Gaming
PostPosted: March 24th, 2012, 6:31 pm 
Elite
Elite

Ikono wrote:
kevino wrote:
You have national newspapers with topless "page 3 girls" that anyone can buy at a newsagents.

I thought the page 3 girls had been pulled back to make way for the Sun to push more racist overtones than sexist ones?

From what I hear, they now come with right wing talking points rather than their personal asperations. Which apparently they used to, to help the reader get to know the models. That was... weird... to learn.

I think the Daily Mail thing of 'condemning something as an excuse to put pictures of scantly clad women so people can pretend to disapprove of what they're enjoying' might be more problematic in it's hypocracy than the more... Honest objectivisation, I suppose... of the likes of the sun. But I couldn't be sure my feeling on that is correct.

Ikono wrote:
kevino wrote:
On the subject of homophobia it is again to do with the kinds of exposure that people are subjected to when both growing up an in life as well.

I remember 10 or so years ago when I was in school there was never any mention of homosexuality in any form from teachers etc. who realistically should know about this to point children, who ask these questions, in the right direction for information.

No, there really wasn't. And this is the aforementioned problem with society. It wasn't fully aware, nor did it yet fully accept things. It still isn't there fully at all, but it's getting significantly better.
It didn't stop us from accepting who we are and being comfortable with it though. Teachers back in school - from my experience - didn't suddenly start siding with the bullies just because we were being picked on for sexuality, rather than something more common, etc. There wasn't as much awareness but there was definitely understanding when these things arose, and awareness rises from more and more cases cropping up in society.

The law itself has changed to help there, with the repeal of Section 28 in 2003... Which, whatever it actually prevented - and there is some debate there - the repeal of at least allowed teachers to be more confident in what they were allowed to say.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2012, 7:39 pm 
Admin
Admin

Gizensha wrote:
Which apparently they used to, to help the reader get to know the models. That was... weird... to learn.

You mean like how FHM actually has writing if you get past all the images?

Gizensha wrote:
I think the Daily Mail thing of 'condemning something as an excuse to put pictures of scantly clad women so people can pretend to disapprove of what they're enjoying' might be more problematic in it's hypocracy than the more... Honest objectivisation, I suppose... of the likes of the sun. But I couldn't be sure my feeling on that is correct.

I would back you up on that one - I mean, neither are good, by any stretch - but I value honesty over trying to be subversive about it.

Gizensha wrote:
The law itself has changed to help there, with the repeal of Section 28 in 2003... Which, whatever it actually prevented - and there is some debate there - the repeal of at least allowed teachers to be more confident in what they were allowed to say.

Yeah, I was done with school by that point but I definitely am glad the law is changing to help people in these circumstances.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2012, 8:56 pm 
Elite
Elite

Ikono wrote:
Gizensha wrote:
Which apparently they used to, to help the reader get to know the models. That was... weird... to learn.

I can't say I'm familiar with FHM's editorial techniques, but http://www.bloggerheads.com/page-3/ has some details (Not safe for work, but closer to being such than you might expect)

PostPosted: March 25th, 2012, 3:56 am 
Admin
Admin

Gizensha wrote:
Ikono wrote:
Gizensha wrote:

I can't say I'm familiar with FHM's editorial techniques, but http://www.bloggerheads.com/page-3/ has some details (Not safe for work, but closer to being such than you might expect)

FHM usually had an interview of some form with their models, or some other similar style biography piece alongside the pictures. I recall reading the odd couple when friends would buy copies, etc. (Oddly enough, I think I have known more females who bought FHM, Nuts or Zoo than males. The number may be more like an even split, but I'm having trouble recalling.)

Anyway, so this was written in 2004, and they started using Page 3 to deliver 'news' content? Wow... shows when I last bothered picking up a tabloid newspaper, huh? That's pretty... terrible though. I wonder a) if these were even their words, or b) how much baiting was needed to get the response they wanted if they are their words (it's hard to imagine The Sun not pushing an agenda in any of its content.)

Weird.