It is currently September 21st, 2014, 5:01 am

Post subject: Previous Event: Meet-up at PAX East w/ guest James Portnow
PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 7:31 pm 

This event has passed. Thank-you to all who participated. Please see the Re-Cap/Follow Up thread to see how it went!

Hiya folks –

For those of you in the Northeastern USA, we are organizing a community meet-up at PAX East 2012, and James Portnow himself has agreed to come to this event.

Below are all the details!

What it is: An EC community meet-up. Come and meet fellow Extra Credits fans & hang out. Yes, I am asking you to be social, be silly, and have fun. James Portnow of Extra Credits will be there, so don’t miss this chance to say hi.

When it is: Saturday, April 7, 2012, 4:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.

Where it is: Atlantic Beer Garden. Located at 146 Northern Avenue Boston, MA 02210 THIS HAS CHANGED. It will now be at The Whiskey Priest pub & grill - located at 150 Northern Ave., Boston, MA, 02210 (it's less than a block away from Atlantic Beer Garden, it has been changed to accommodate our large group of over 60 people, with a private room)

Why should you come: To meet up with a diverse group of like-minded game enthusiasts who love Extra Credits and want to move the medium forward!

How to participate: Please RSVP! RSVP instructions are below.

FAQ

How do I RSVP?
Send an email to jaclynejimenez@gmail.com with "EC Meet-up" in the subject line. In the body please include your name, and the names of others in your party if you're bringing people. Please also let me know the best way to contact you in case of any major changes.

How can I contact you with questions or issues on the day of PAX East?
If you have any trouble leading up to the meet-up, you can contact me and I'll try to find a way to help you out. Best ways to contact me are email - jaclynejimenez@gmail.com, Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/kqbn , or even twitter @jaclynejimenez
I will be logged into Twitter & Steam on my phone and my phone notifies me when I get an email so I'll respond as soon as I see it.

How do I get to the Meet-Up from the PAX East convention center?
Our meet-up is a 10 minute walk from PAX East convention center. Walking directions are below.
Walking directions:
Start at- Boston Convention & Exhibition Center, 415 Summer Street, Boston, MA
1. Head southeast on Summer St toward World Trade Center Ave 33 ft
2. Turn left onto World Trade Center Ave 0.2 mi
3. Turn left onto Seaport Blvd, Take the stairs, 489 ft
4. Turn right onto E Service Rd
Destination will be on the right 39 ft

The Whiskey Priest (changed from Atlantic Beer Garden)
150 Northern Avenue
Boston, MA 02210

Do I have to be 21 to enter?
No, the venue is for all ages before 8 p.m.

Do I have to have tickets to PAX East in order to attend?
No, we are having the meet-up at a venue near PAX East, but separate from the convention. The location is conveniently a 10 minute walk from PAX East.

Is there a cover charge?
Nope. But since I'm now paying $300 for this out of pocket, it would be a huge help if each person gave me at least $5 to cover the cost of their own food. Payment is optional, but food on the platters will be free for you and paid by me.

What is there to eat?
I'm picking the platters tonight. TBD.

What is there to drink (alcoholic)?
Here are links to the Beer menu and the Wine menu.
I won't be drinking, but you are welcome to if you'd like. Don't forget to bring ID!

Who is coming?
Confirmed attendees:
James Portnow, "Extra Credits" writer, CEO of Rainmaker Games
Jaclyn / kqbn
Marc / onReload
David / MixedUpZombies
Alan / MagnusRex
David / Katana
Sam / Sinoda
Matt / ArmyKnife
Chris / ccesarano
Tim & Jes / InabaTewi
Brian / Emissarypanzerfaust
Konstantin / Ksquared
Jesse / NoFaceName + 2
Allan & Matt
Landon, Tye, Mason & Tyler
Kevin
Christopher
Johnson+1
Elijah & Luke
Phil
Tegan
Martin, Liz & Rachel
J / LorXabbu & Ryan
Graham
Michael
Rob
David
Dillon
Sarah, Matthew, Ken, & Maryanna
Josh
Edward
Cody
Steve S., Jon & Steve W.
Amber / TurboWaitress
Eric & Annora
Dan P.
Saun, Larry, Rosita, & Kerry
Ryon
David / Silence
Ramses
Zoe
Cris, Zephyr, & Nick
Michelle, Steve, Mike, Troy, Ashley, Michelle, Sam, Marissa, & Brendon
Chris, Mike, & Matt
Kevin, William, Philip, Gary & Alex

COUNT: 81 people

Once I get there, how will I know how to meet with the rest of the group?
Our group will be reserved under "Extra Credits", if not ask for "Jaclyn" (that's me!) I'll be wearing a grey Extra Credits shirt (the one that people got for donating to help Allison), so you should at least be able to spot me. And you should recognize James : )

Other info
- I made nametags! You guys can wear them or not, they're totally optional. But they are a good way for people to remember your names, at least at first.
- I'm bringing a camera! I encourage you to bring yours too. I also encourage you to share pictures you take from this meet-up with us here in this thread, I know I'll be posting my pictures here as well.

If you have any other questions please feel free to comment, PM me, or email me and I’ll answer or clarify ASAP.

I’m very excited about this! I hope you all are too.

*must download & install mumble client
Server info: extracurricular.mumble.com / port: 3511

Post subject: Re: Community meet-up at PAX East w/ special guest James Por
PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 9:10 pm 

I'm planning the event near PAX East but not actually AT PAX East, so you do not actually have to attend the convention to attend this meet up. I choose Saturday because I know already that some who are traveling from outside of Massachusetts might not be there by Friday or might be on their way back home by Sunday evening.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2012, 3:10 am 

So I looked at the PAX schedule and I think 4 p.m. on Saturday is a reasonable time to meet up since I don't see any really exciting panels going on around that time.

I'm looking at reserving a spot here: http://kingsbackbay.com
so we can go bowling and play skeeball and have a grand ol' time!!!

People who plan to come: let me know if that time doesnt work for you. Let me know if that place doesn't work for you. I havent confirmed the place yet but it looks like a good option. Please tell me your thoughts or if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks!!

PostPosted: March 7th, 2012, 3:31 am 

YouTube user: Katana314
No reason I can't make it. I may investigate to see if the place is too loud for conversation, and if there are other places people might enjoy. (Not to criticize, you don't live around Boston, so it's difficult to know ahead of time)

PostPosted: March 7th, 2012, 3:48 am 

PLEASE make suggestions for places! I freely admit I don't know the area so I'd much rather have someone from the area vouch for the spot. I just want everyone to be able to chat and have a good time. Keep in mind that there will be some people under 21 so that rules out a few places.
I just don't want it to be actually AT PAX because I don't want people to crash the party, so to speak. I'd like our group to be manageable. Plus I'm sure anywhere at PAX will be pretty loud.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2012, 4:32 am 
Regular
Regular

How cool. I'm in. And yeah, I missed out on the Saturday pass too, so I'm glad it's outside the con. :)

PostPosted: March 7th, 2012, 5:13 am 
Elite
Elite

I be down with that

PostPosted: March 7th, 2012, 6:41 pm 

Although the venue still isn't confirmed (please let me know your suggestions!!) I did some research on Kings, the place I suggested in my earlier post.

I spoke to a very lovely person at Kings - and she was able to send me info on group packages and answer some of my questions.

A package I thought was reasonable was one for 9 - 16 people, it includes private access to 2 skeeball tables and a shuffleboard table, 2 tables for us to eat, 4 gourmet pizzas, and 2 appetizers.

I asked my contact at Kings about the environment and noise, and she told me that with this package we'd be in the "Royal Room" image below.
Click for larger image

There would be other people in this room but we'd be on one side of the room, with private access to the shuffleboard & skeeball tables. So we'd have that area to ourselves. I asked her about the noise and she said that during the day it's more of a family environment and there might be some music playing but it wouldn't be loud. Plus, I think that since we won't be near the bowling alleys, and noisier areas, noise wouldnt be that bad. The only thing in the room with us would be the pool tables, and Billiards isn't a super noisy game.

So, let me know what you think. The package includes the games, tables, and food so I think it'll be a good time and its a great deal. It'll be a total of $450, which amounts to $30 per person if we have 15 people.
If you love everything about this idea, except the price is a dealbreaker for you, talk to me privately and we'll work something out.

This is just one option. Let me know if you have other ideas. Meanwhile I'll keep looking.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2012, 6:58 pm 
Elite
Elite

Well, I've been wanting an excuse for a road trip, but Boston is a bit further than I had in mind. Still, if I can find a cheap motel near Albany... I'll look into it.

PostPosted: March 8th, 2012, 8:12 pm 
Elite
Elite

I will be there in one way or another. Never been to Boston, so I have no idea what the options are.

PostPosted: March 9th, 2012, 1:54 am 

MagnusRex has suggested this place:
http://www.atlanticbeergarden.com/index.html

Its easy to get to and we can sit and get food and talk. As far as I can tell, you don't need to be 21 to get in. So this is another good, and less expensive option.

PostPosted: March 9th, 2012, 5:07 am 
Elite
Elite

Guiness, draught - check. Place would get my vote.

PostPosted: March 9th, 2012, 7:50 am 
Admin
Admin

What is it with everywhere carrying Newcy Brown for some reason out here? Do people actually LIKE it? I used to drink it because two bottles of the stuff would only set me back a couple of quid at my local club. >_>';;

Anyway, nothing more productive to add - hope you guys have fun!

PostPosted: March 9th, 2012, 10:44 am 
Elite
Elite

Ikono wrote:
What is it with everywhere carrying Newcy Brown for some reason out here? Do people actually LIKE it? I used to drink it because two bottles of the stuff would only set me back a couple of quid at my local club. >_>';;

Anyway, nothing more productive to add - hope you guys have fun!

Speaking of Newcy Brown I once had a conversation with a man of... questionable disposition who shown me that if you smash a bottle it will usually just break apart in your hand, however a Newcy Brown bottle keeps together at the stem allowing you to stab someone with ease.

I've always been wary of anyone drinking Newcy Brown after that.

FUCK DOTA

PostPosted: March 10th, 2012, 12:57 am 
Regular
Regular

88Chaz88 wrote:
Speaking of Newcy Brown I once had a conversation with a man of... questionable disposition who shown me that if you smash a bottle it will usually just break apart in your hand, however a Newcy Brown bottle keeps together at the stem allowing you to stab someone with ease.

I remember being told a similar story...by a similarly questionable man. There's a lot of them out and about it seems...

Anyway, it is unfortunate but I won't be able to attend. Will be in the U.S in May, but no sooner than that I'm afraid. Shame, this sounds like it's going to be quite a lot of fun. Oh well, I look forward to the videos of the whole thing...there will be videos right...right??? :cry:

PostPosted: March 10th, 2012, 11:23 am 
Admin
Admin

Andrew wrote:
88Chaz88 wrote:

I remember being told a similar story...by a similarly questionable man. There's a lot of them out and about it seems...

An old workmate of mine had an interesting habit. If she saw the opportunity she would smack the base of her bottle on the top of your bottle, this would have the effect of making your drink froth up and pour all over you. Generally, she'd aim to get your lap.

Anyway, one time she did this a little too hard (we were a bit past gone) and the top of my bottle of Newcy Brown smashed. It didn't shatter past the stem though, thus my drink was saved from pouring all over me. I did, however, end up with glass on me.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2012, 7:10 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Sounds like a good time. Kinda always been interested in seeing Boston anyhow. Unfortunately I never got PAX passes.... so... yeah, I'd only be going for this. A few other things may not let me travel. Lack of funds, lack of a car, no hotel and not wanting to drive back same day. Stupid travel times. Who knows, ya know?

Quick question How many people are going to be there? And are we still looking at King's? Or is it the beer garden now? I'm assuming Newcy Brown is a PBR quality... drink? PBR isn't beer.

I'd love to meet up with a bunch of EC-ers, and have a chance to meet James.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2012, 8:44 pm 
Admin
Admin

InkStream wrote:
I'm assuming Newcy Brown is a PBR quality... drink? PBR isn't beer.

I'd rather drink Newcy than PBR... but yeah, more or less. XD

PostPosted: March 14th, 2012, 9:32 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Hey everyone! I'd absolutely be interested in going to this, so count me in. James is an awesome dude.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2012, 2:08 pm 

ArmyKnife wrote:
Hey everyone! I'd absolutely be interested in going to this, so count me in. James is an awesome dude.

Great! Glad you're interested :)

So right now I'm still thinking of having the meet-up at 4 p.m., or 5 p.m. on Saturday April 7
If that doesn't work for any of you that can come, let me know and please suggest another time asap. I'm going to call up Atlantic Beer Garden by Friday to ask them a few questions, since I'm kind of leaning towards going there.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2012, 2:15 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

kqbn wrote:
ArmyKnife wrote:

Great! Glad you're interested :)

So right now I'm still thinking of having the meet-up at 4 p.m., or 5 p.m. on Saturday April 7
If that doesn't work for any of you that can come, let me know and please suggest another time asap. I'm going to call up Atlantic Beer Garden by Friday to ask them a few questions, since I'm kind of leaning towards going there.

While it would be fun to go to the Pitch Your Game Idea! Panel, this takes serious precedence :)

This time works for me!

PostPosted: March 14th, 2012, 2:23 pm 

Cool!
My problem with the "pitch your game idea" panel is that if you're idea is pretty good and you don't win, whats to stop someone else in the audience from taking your idea?

PostPosted: March 14th, 2012, 2:26 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

kqbn wrote:
Cool!
My problem with the "pitch your game idea" panel is that if you're idea is pretty good and you don't win, whats to stop someone else in the audience from taking your idea?

Heh, absolutely nothing. But if you just want that idea to get out there then I guess it doesn't matter. They state that problem more than a few times during the beginning of the panel though :)

PostPosted: March 14th, 2012, 4:18 pm 
Elite
Elite

kqbn wrote:

That's pretty much the only time that'd work for me, since I'd have to drive through Friday and Sat morning. So if you guys decide on different time, please, let me know ASAP.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2012, 4:43 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

KSquared wrote:
kqbn wrote:

That's pretty much the only time that'd work for me, since I'd have to drive through Friday and Sat morning. So if you guys decide on different time, please, let me know ASAP.

Hey KSquared, where would you be driving from?